The European Commission will adopt the Decision on the registration of our citizens’ initiative proposal called «Call to achieve a tobacco-free environment and the first European tobacco- free generation by 2030» and which proposes the following:
The smoking pandemic is number one of preventable causes of death. Cigarette butts on beaches cause environmental damage to the ocean and its wildlife, start forest fires, and pollute soil and water. To save the new generations from falling into tobacco addiction, in addition to acting forcefully against the environmental dangers caused by cigarette butts and fighting against smoking, it is necessary to:
- Promote the first tobacco-free European generation by 2028, ending the sale of tobacco and nicotine products to citizens born since 2010.
- Create an European Net of tobacco-free and butts-free beaches and riverbanks, making this spaces more healthy and environmentally sustainable.
- Establish an European Net of tobacco-free and butts-free National Parks making them more healthy and reducing contamination and risk of fires.
- Extend outdoor smoke and vapor free spaces, especially those frequented by minors (parks, swimming pools, sports events and centers, shows and restaurants terraces).
- Eliminate tobacco advertising and presence in audiovisual productions, social media, specially addressing covert advertising through influencers and product placement.
- Finance R&D projects for diseases caused by tobacco use to improve their prognosis and make them curable.
The organizers have until February 24, 2023 to begin collecting the million signatures that are necessary.